Thursday, April 30, 2009

How 'bout a Heap of Happiness?

A couple of weeks ago I started a Sunday morning series, The Big Ten, covering Exodus 20 and what is commonly known as The Ten Commandments. The feedback that I have received from the church has been both encouraging and enlightening. One of the truths that I have tried to communicate through this series is this: God is not some cosmic kill-joy. Every time He says, "Thou shalt not," He's saying, "Don't hurt yourself." And every time He says, "Thou shalt," He's saying, "Help yourself to happiness." Dr. Adrian Rogers often said, "God only wants for us what we would want for ourselves if we were smart enough to want it."

I'm not certain that most people really know what they want. When you consider the foolish decisions that are made every day, you can't help but wonder, "Is that really what they wanted?" Our local news reported this morning that a 72-year-old man is heading to jail because he shot his wife during a domestic dispute, then turned his gun on sheriff's deputies. Is that really what he wanted? Did he really think shooting the wife and a couple of peace officers would solve his problems? He will likely spend the rest of his life behind bars. I doubt that's what he wanted. Do you know what you want? If you're looking for happiness, head straight to God's Word with a heart-attitude that says, "I'll have a heap of happiness, please."

1 comment:

  1. Great words of wisdom this morning! I missed my ladies Bible study time due to a sick child. Glad I got to read this. :)

    ReplyDelete