Friday, June 5, 2009

I Blinked and He Grew Up!

OK, so life has been happening at break-neck speed. Thus, the lack of blog posts. My oldest son is graduating from high school today, we will celebrate his 18th birthday on Sunday, and I am struggling! Apparently I blinked and he grew up. My wife, Kristie, has put together a collection of letters from friends and family for Matt's graduation. Here are the thoughts of a proud Dad to his son:

Matt,
18 years ago, I saw this day looming on the horizon. I had no idea how fast it would get here! While you’ve looked forward to it with eager anticipation, I’ve looked forward to it with mixed emotions. For you, this day couldn’t get here fast enough because it marks the beginning of adulthood. For me, it has arrived much too quickly because it marks the end of childhood.
I remember the day that Mom and I discovered you were on the way. We were more excited than you can imagine! I remember holding you in my arms for the first time and thinking, “What a miracle!” I remember Father’s Day 1991 – your first Sunday in church, and my first Father’s Day as a DAD. I remember your first day of school, your first steps, playing catch for the first time, and your first official at bat. You have brought us immeasurable joy as we have watched you grow up into the man that you are today. I am so proud of all that you have accomplished as a student, as an athlete, and as a leader. I could not be more proud of you, son!
More than any of your accomplishments in the classroom and on the athletic field, I am proud of who you are becoming. Your spiritual journey started the day that you committed your life to Christ. One of my proudest days as a Dad and as Pastor is the day that I baptized you. It has been so much fun discovering how God has uniquely gifted you to make much of Him. My prayer is that you will live every moment of every day for the glory of God! Make certain that your relationship with God is more important than any earthly relationship. Make certain that your time with Him is more important than anything else on your calendar. Make certain that knowing Him is more important than your batting average.
As you begin the next phase of your life, know that your proud parents will always be in the stands cheering you on. We will be praying for you every day as we look forward to all that God has in store for you. Always remember: God is more concerned about who you’re becoming than where you’re going or what you’re doing.

I love you more than you know!
Your Proud Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment